Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelensky has referred to as on Vladimir Putin to maintain face-to-face talks regardless of UK fears Moscow will use negotiations as a “smokescreen” to put together for a good more brutal assault.
Mr Zelensky used a video message to say “it’s time to meet, time to talk” however, within the UK, Cabinet ministers urged warning about talks with the Putin regime.
Foreign Secretary Liz Truss stated it was up to Mr Zelensky how his nation approached peace talks however she was “very sceptical” in regards to the Kremlin’s position.
She instructed The Times: “If a country is serious about negotiations, it doesn’t indiscriminately bomb civilians that day.”
Ms Truss stated talks could be a “smokescreen” and “what we’ve seen is an attempt to create space for the Russians to regroup”.
Tory get together chairman Oliver Dowden instructed Times Radio: “We of course have to treat the Russians with a high degree of scepticism given that they were the ones that commenced this war.”
He stated the UK had to have a “hard-headed sceptical approach” however “if we can find a way through to a peaceful and negotiated settlement we should of course try to achieve that”.
British defence intelligence specialists consider Russia will wage a battle of attrition, having failed in its aim of quickly conquering its neighbour.
“This is likely to involve the indiscriminate use of firepower resulting in increased civilian casualties, destruction of Ukrainian infrastructure, and intensify the humanitarian crisis,” the Ministry of Defence stated.
In different developments:
– Ms Truss, Defence Secretary Ben Wallace and Prime Minister Boris Johnson are due to tackle Tory activists gathered on the get together’s spring convention in Blackpool on Saturday.
– The Home Office stated 8,600 visas had been issued underneath the Ukraine household scheme by 5pm on Friday.
– Ukraine’s ambassador to the UK Vadym Prystaiko instructed the PA information company that London-based shopper large Unilever ought to shut its operations in Russia.
– Former prime minister David Cameron was heading to Poland to ship provides to refugees fleeing the battle in neighbouring Ukraine.
– His predecessor Gordon Brown referred to as for a brand new worldwide tribunal to be arrange to prosecute Mr Putin and his allies.
In Ukraine, combating continued on a number of fronts however 10 humanitarian corridors have been established for assist and refugees – together with one from the besieged port metropolis of Mariupol and a number of other round capital Kyiv.
The UK Ministry of Defence stated: “The Kremlin has so far failed to achieve its original objectives.
“It has been surprised by the scale and ferocity of Ukrainian resistance.”