UK News

Mum dies after accidentally overdosing on LEMSIPS | UK | News

Joan Ita Bergin, 58, had been sick for every week with a nasty chest final December and drank the off-the-shelf remedy to handle the signs. The chilly and flu reduction sachets include paracetamol and Mrs Bergin was supplementing it with extra of the painkiller.

Her son Matthew, who referred to as an ambulance on Christmas Day, stated Mrs Bergin, who was born in New Zealand, had been vomiting coffee-coloured bile.

An inquest heard she was taken to Royal Preston Hospital after which into intensive care after her situation deteriorated.

Tests revealed she had “significantly elevated” liver enzymes and low oxygen ranges. She was recognized with liver failure and died on January 7.

At her inquest the coroner was instructed how, at one stage, Mrs Bergin was consuming a sachet of the remedy each 4 hours when it is suggested that not more than 4 doses needs to be taken in 24 hours.

She additionally admitted to docs taking greater than the instructed quantity of painkiller.

The listening to was instructed she had a background of ingesting extra alcohol.

Kate Bisset, Lancashire Assistant Coroner, instructed Preston Coroner’s Court how the extreme consumption of Lemsip drinks and paracetamol contributed to her liver harm.

The reason for demise was given as a number of organ failure, pneumonia and acute liver failure secondary to unintentional paracetamol overdose. Contributory elements have been cited as alcohol-related liver illness and oesophageal ulceration.

Ms Bisset returned a conclusion of demise by misadventure.

Back to top button