Nicola Little, 46, took a mixture of medication, together with Spice and excessive ranges of methadone, and suffered poisoning. The mom of six was discovered dead at her hostel in Hull, the place she had battled addiction for years.
However, Nicola had studied legislation at college and labored in the authorized division at Hull City Council for years earlier than her life grew to become blighted by addiction.
Her mum had seen Nicola the day earlier than she died – in April final year – and mentioned she was “really happy” however the lady was found dead hours later.
Toxicology outcomes discovered Nicola had taken a big quantity of Spice and methadone, together with smaller quantities of cocaine and illicit painkillers, Hull Live experiences.
Her inquest this week heard Nicola, who had additionally labored as a housing officer, confronted an excessive amount of trauma all through her life, together with the loss of a kid at delivery and the prognosis of a uncommon blood situation.
In an announcement learn on the inquest in Hull, Nicola’s mom mentioned: “Nicola has one brother who she remained very close to. She as always sporty when she was younger and loved football, going to games with her dad and brother. Our relationship was strong but it could be difficult as she struggled with drugs.
“Nicola raised her youngsters very well. She was in legislation and labored as a paralegal for 5 or 6 years earlier than the follow closed. She then studied legislation on the University of Hull however she was additionally working and elevating three youngsters on the time so she couldn’t full her course.
“She worked in the legal department at Hull City Council for around 12 years. But she was off sick quite a lot and then she began taking more drugs and she eventually had to quit.
“I gave her money however after I realised it was occurring medication and not the necessities I finished. It was solely in the final 4 years or in order that she had an enormous downside with medication and she might simply not come off them.”
Recalling the last day Nicola’s mum saw her daughter, she said: “She appeared genuinely very well, the perfect I had seen her in some time. She actually gave the impression to be attempting to get again on monitor and was actually completely satisfied.
“Nicola was too trusting but she loved her children and they loved her. She would do anything for anyone. She was clever, hard working and very pretty. Nicola was such a loving person.”
The toxicology report flagged up the considerations over using extremely poisonous chemical drug Spice, warning that it’s results have been “unpredictable“ owing to the number of chemical compounds discovered which aren’t topic to any regulation.
Area coroner Lorraine Harris concluded Nicola’s dying was “drug related” and issued a warning in regards to the risks of Spice.
She mentioned: “I find Nicola was an intelligent woman who worked hard to support her family. But she had a history of substance abuse.
“I see no proof of any intention to commit suicide however these attempting to get clear can discover the medication they take turn into extra poisonous. I additionally take into consideration the problems over Spice which is an artificial cannabinoid which could be very harmful.
“I offer my very sincere condolences to Nicola’s family. It’s evident to me how much she was loved surrounded by a large family all who she had a good relationship with.
“She beloved, not simply her solely youngsters, but in addition her nephews and nieces.
“This is a tragic end to the young life of a warm, intelligent and hard working woman who struggled with substance abuse.”