UK News

Man who plotted to murder ex-wife stopped by passing elderly couple who sat on him

An elderly couple who prevented the murder of a lady by her estranged husband by sitting on him till the police arrived are set to obtain bravery awards.

Thuan Dinh, 53, was holding a bag containing a bit of rope, petrol and fuel cylinders which he used to strangle and stab his ex-partner to demise in the course of the “horrific attack” at her workplace.

Dinh was jailed for 28 years for her tried murder.

Katherine Jordan, 65, and Roger Trask, 75, have been praised by the decide, who mentioned they’d “undoubtedly” prevented a murder.

Dinh arrived earlier than the nail bar managed by his ex-partner opened and lay in wait only a day after she had bought a restraining order towards him.

He tried to strangle Lien, 50, with the rope he had earlier than utilizing a knife contained in the bar to stab her.

Had Ms Jordan, and Mr Trask, who have been passing the VCC Boutique on the Tonbridge excessive road not intervened, Dinh would have probably succeeded.

When Lien walked by the store door at 9am on 11 March 2020 she heard footsteps and rotated to see Dinh gripping the piece of rope.

He then locked the door earlier than wrapping the rope round her neck and making an attempt to gouge her eyes out along with his thumbs.

He additionally stabbed her within the neck, damaging the muscle and narrowly lacking her jugular vein.

Lien managed to pull the rope off her and started shouting for assist. She tried to run, however her ex-husband grabbed her by the hair.

Trapped, she pleaded with Dinh – a father-of-two – not to go away their youngsters and not using a mom.

Ms Jordan and Mr Trask, who have been strolling previous the salon, heard Lien’s screams.

The pair managed to wrestle Dinh off his ex-wife, permitting her to escape, earlier than sitting on him till officers arrived.

Dinh was convicted of the tried murder of his ex-wife and admitted to breaching a restraining order at Maidstone Crown Court on Thursday.

During the trial, Lien mentioned: “In that moment I just thought I had to protect and rescue myself, hence I said that to him.

“I pleaded to him to let go. I asked him to think about the children. I said I didn’t want my children to be without a mum.”

“I was hoping the staff would come in in time to help me.”

Judge St John-Stevens counseled the bravery of Ms Jordan and Mr Trask for restraining her knife-wielding attacker.

While Mr Trask was too sick to attend the sentencing, he instructed Ms Jordan that their intervention had “undoubtedly saved her life”.

Both will obtain a High Sheriff Award for Bravery.

Ms Jordan mentioned: “We were just passing the nail bar on our way for breakfast when I heard a woman asking for help.”

Lien had married Dinh in 2011 after she was rescued from a detention centre in Hong Kong earlier than transferring to the UK, the court docket heard.

But the wedding broke down after Dinh turned more and more controlling, ultimately threatening to kill her if she ever left him.

He had been issued with a restraining order the day earlier than he tried to murder Lien.

Defence barrister Ben Temple mentioned the brutal assault had been a “knee-jerk reaction” to the court docket order and the “catastrophic impact” of shedding the help of his spouse and household.

He defined to the court docket that Dinh had “liberated” his spouse 30 years in the past from a refugee camp in Hong Kong and mentioned: “It’s a terrible symmetry that it should end with his self-destruction.”

Dinh, who had been ingesting within the early morning earlier than the tried murder, later claimed he was solely making an attempt to kill himself, however this was rejected by the jury.

During the ordeal, Dinh even kissed his ex-partner earlier than persevering with with the assault, the court docket was instructed.

Judge Philip St John-Stevens instructed Dinh: “I saw you give evidence and I saw little remorse.”

As properly as being sentenced to 28 years in jail, Dinh, of Rowan Mews, Tonbridge, was given an prolonged licence interval of 4 years.

Judge Philip St John-Stevens mentioned the “horrific” assault had left the sufferer with bodily and psychological hurt.

Detective Chief Inspector Garry Cook added: “Dinh was responsible for a truly horrific assault, which left his victim suffering some quite appalling injuries.

“His actions were clearly premeditated.

“As well as the rope, Dinh had brought with him accelerants and we believe it was his intention to set fire to the shop after the assault.

“I hope today’s sentence will provide some comfort to the victim, who will hopefully be assured that Dinh will have to serve a significant time in prison before he can be considered for release.

“I would also like to thank those members of the public who bravely intervened and prevented Dinh from causing any further harm and whose prompt actions may have even saved the victim’s life.”

Back to top button