According to the NHS, over time, consuming an excessive amount of can enhance the danger of osteoporosis and worsen current kidney issues. And there’s little analysis into the long-term results of taking greater than this from a younger age.
Although it’s nonetheless unusual, Dr Banwell says extra younger males are creating gout than earlier than, and this may very well be linked to protein powder. (Gout is attributable to excessive ranges of uric acid in the blood stream, inflicting crystals to type in the joints.)
“Protein supplementation is not necessarily straightforward or without risk,” he says.
Dr Banwell additionally worries the rising use of protein powder is an indication extra younger males than ever are feeling pressured about their look, or combating muscle dysmorphia, an obsessive want to have an even bigger, extra muscular physique.
“On the one hand, exercise supports mental health, but we need to bear in mind there’s a darker side to it, too,” Dr Banwell says. “Many of these young people are feeling pressured and have abnormal perceptions of their bodies.”
As far as Matt Trott is anxious, going to the fitness center is a crucial type of “therapy” for him and his pals, which helps their psychological and bodily wellbeing in a wholesome means. “I’m looking to maximise the gain from every session and the intake of extra protein is a great way to do that,” he says.
Dr Banwell agrees taking protein powder isn’t an issue. “We shouldn’t be forbidding protein powders, not at all,” he says. “But they need to be monitored.”
Drew Price’s recommendation for teenagers who train intensively
- Individual wants range, however 1.3g – 1.8g of protein/kg physique weight per day is advisable by some sports activities our bodies.
- Base your weight-reduction plan on a wide range of minimally processed entire meals and high up with protein powder after coaching if crucial.
- Whey protein is one in every of the greatest types of protein powder: search for manufacturers that comprise no less than 80 per cent protein.
- High high quality plant-based protein powders are additionally out there: search for 75 per cent protein and a mixture of sources reminiscent of pea, hemp and rice.
- Always evaluate manufacturers and varieties by the 100g measure, not serving dimension.
- Avoid weight-gaining powders: make smoothies with yogurt, fruits, nut butters and entire grains like oats as a substitute.