UK News

Kent News: Mother rescues son after watching him swallowed up by sewage drain – VIDEO | UK | News

Amy Blyth, 23, stated she would “never mentally recover” after watching her 18-month-old boy fell into the five-foot gap. Theo Prior fell into the opening after stepping on the cover which flipped over leaving the gaping sewage drain open.

The incident was captured on CCTV by a neighbouring home and confirmed Ms Blyth pulling younger Theo from the pool of human waste.

During the incident, the mom might be seen kneeling all the way down to get nearer to the ledge and pull her son again up.

Fortunately for Theo, he was pulled free, though his garments had been lined in waste.

The incident occurred within the Tenterden space on a public pavement.

Southern Water, liable for the drain has since apologised to the household of Theo, and stated they’re taking the matter “very seriously.”

Describing the second, Ms Blyth stated: “My first thought was Oh my God, he’s dead.”

“I yanked the drain lid out, and I just saw him down there, screaming my name.

“There was sewage up to his knees.

“I jumped down the drain, but it’s not big enough for me to bend over to grab him.

“I had to sort of arch my body to grab him and pull him up.

“I don’t know how I did it.

“My body went in ways I’ve never bent before, just to get him out of that drain.

“It was so deep you couldn’t see my head from the ground, and I wasn’t even on the floor.

“Just as I pulled him up I think someone flushed a chain because we were soaked – with I think, possibly, wee.

“Our clothes are absolutely disgusting.”

Ms Blythe rushed Theo to Ashford’s William Harvey Hospital the place he was identified with gentle concussion.

X-rays had been additionally taken, and confirmed that fortunately, Theo averted any damaged bones.

Speaking after the incident, Ms Blythe continued: “It could have ended up so much worse.

“If he’d gone down head first, I don’t even know if he would be here.

“It makes me feel sick to think of it. It’s an absolute nightmare – I’m petrified of drains now.

“I still feel really shaken from it. I just can’t really get over it.

“He literally went straight to the bottom, and I thought I was going to lose him.

“It was actually like a horror film.”

She added: “We were just walking out for him to go to his dad’s house.

“I saw the drain was a little bit loose, but I didn’t realise what level it was loose.

“He ran to the drain, stood on it, and just fell the whole way through.

“And then the drain lid shut on top of him.

“If he’d been on his own, or if it had been another kid on their own, we wouldn’t have found him.

“We wouldn’t have known where they’d gone.

“You couldn’t even hear him because it’s sound-proof.

“He could have fallen down and I’d have gone running around the block trying to find him, not in a drain.”

Writing in a publish on Facebook, she added: “I mentally will never ever recover from this, my baby now is screaming when leaving my side.”

A Southern Water spokesperson stated: “We are aware of a situation involving a child and an open manhole.

“This is clearly an upsetting situation for those involved and our team is on-site.

“A dedicated customer liaison officer has been assigned to support the family.

“We are taking this matter very seriously and our first priority was to make the area safe.

“Next steps are to understand exactly what happened.”

Back to top button